Monday, July 27, 2009

How It All Began...

Here is the story of Sugar Bites:

Ever since I was a kid, I totally looked up to my Aunt Pat who lives in the states because she always made beautiful and yummy cakes. Every time I got to go to a cousin's wedding, I always loved the cakes and couldn't believe that someone I knew made them! I always thought it would be so much fun to make pretty cakes like that.

During church camp one year, I was very excited to find that cake decorating was a class I could take! Not very "outdoorsy" for camp, but very exciting. I learned how to make borders and roses and all kinds of yummy fun stuff!

When I was done high school, I took a break from schooling because I wasn't sure what I wanted to do. During that time, I secretly toyed with the idea of moving to the states and getting a job...and secretly thought it would be really cool to work with or at least live near my Aunt Pat so I could learn how to make those beautiful cakes. But I ended up staying in Saskatoon and taking office administration instead. Exciting.....

Every office job that I have had, I've always brought in baking treats. Because I've always loved to bake, but I can't possibly eat everything that I bake or I'd be 600 pounds! I've always gotten compliments for my baking.

Last year, my friend and co-worker Jackie got engaged and sort of half-jokingly asked me to make her wedding cake because she loved my baking. I gave this some serious thought. It was always something I was interested in....why not?

So I signed up for cake decorating classes at Michaels and took all of them except for the first one (since I knew the basics from camp). I accumulated all kinds of fun supplies and tips and tricks and techniques and had a fantastic teacher.

Then I just started making cakes for friends and family and slowly more and more people started asking for cakes. I posted pictures on Facebook and on this blog and between that and word of mouth, I've kept really busy

And so everything is coming full circle this week as Jackie's wedding is on Saturday! I can't believe it's this weekend already! Stay tuned for pictures of Jackie's wedding cake coming next week! I took the whole week off of cakes so I can give it all of my attention. Can't wait for the wedding!

2 comments:

Jyl said...

Isn't it funny how things have a way of working themselves out? I can honestly picture you leaving Pleasure Way and running your own cake bakery in the future!

Jackie said...

I am so honored for what you have said. You are truly a talented cake maker!! I too am so looking forward to what the cake looks like and tastes like. Thank you so much from the bottom of both our hearts for making the cake for us.