Saturday, May 30, 2009

Convocation Cake

I don't usually do last minute cakes....but when one particular co-worker of mine pulls his sneaky tricky stunts, it's hard to say no! :)

He said "Oh I wish I had thought of it earlier...my daughter's convocation is tomorrow and it sure would have been nice to have a cake....."

Since I really didn't have anything else going on, I told him I could do it. A few minutes later, he came back to my office and asked "did you like how I asked for a cake without really asking for a cake?"...What a sneak!

But the cake turned out great. I came up with the idea for a mortarboard (graduation cap) cake, which he then said that's what he was going to ask for, but wasn't sure if I could do it on short notice. Luckily I now have a tub of pre-colored black fondant, so it wasn't too hard.



The cake was lemon cake with lemon cream cheese icing as filling and iced with buttercream before being covered in black fondant. The top part of the hat was cardboard covered in fondant and the tassel was green fondant. The scroll was gum paste painted with food coloring.

He said he was a hero for getting the cake, so I'm glad I did it :)

No comments: