Sunday, May 3, 2009

My Birthday!

It was my birthday on the 28th! On the 26th my team and I did the MS Walk for Life and then I had everyone over for birthday cake/pie.

Since I've started this venture, I thought of many elaborate cakes to make for my own birthday, But when it all came down to it, I'm actually a little bit sick of cake! So I decided to keep it simple with a 3 layer chocolate cake iced and filled with ganache, then topped with some Smarties.

But the cake was just a secondary dessert for anyone who wasn't interested in the main event: lemon meringue pie completely from scratch. I've always loved lemon meringue pie, but always made it from the Jello mix and used a pre-made pie crust.

Recently, however, I've started making everything from scratch. The crust, the filling and of course the meringue. The result is a bit time consuming, but totally worth it!

My birthday creations:


The cake:One of the pies:


*I didn't notice when I got them, but the Smarties I got have no artificial colours in them. That is why they don't look like normal Smarties. They kind of tasted different too...I think I prefer the artificial ones!

No comments: