Monday, October 13, 2008

Nesting Doll Cake



I made this cake for my mom for her birthday. Her birthday is on the 14th of October, so always right around Canadian Thanksgiving. She had a bunch of people over to her house for Thanksgiving, so I provided the cake.

I have wanted to do a nesting doll cake since I saw a picture of one that my Wilton class instructor did. I thought it was a very cute idea and since my mom is Ukrainian, it was a good fit.

The cake was 2 layers of raspberry cake (mom's choice), filled with white chocolate cream cheese buttercream icing, carved to shape, iced in the same icing, then covered in white marshmallow fondant. Then I painted the details on using food coloring. I thought it turned out quite well, and since it was one of the rare cakes I was able to cut into and eat myself, I'd have to say it tasted pretty darn good too!

Here is the cake next to the picture I copied:

*yes I realize that the cake is much fatter than the doll pictured...I just couldn't bear to cut away anymore of the yummy raspberry cake than I already had!

1 comment:

Qaro said...

What a beautiful cake! It's actually better than the original picture! : )