Saturday, February 21, 2009

Spring Church Cake

I made a nice big cake for snack time at church this week. I started off with 3 12" square layers of my favorite Hershey's deep dark chocolate cake. Then I decided it was a good time to try out a new icing recipe. So I found this recipe online (thanks Martha Stewart!) and tried it out. It's a Swiss meringue buttercream recipe. I've been looking for something that isn't too sweet for some projects and this one is great!

I used some leftover white royal icing to make the border and sides. Then I finished everything off with Cadberry mini eggs - one for each piece.

The combination of the super moist chocolate cake and the Swiss meringue buttercream was to die for! I got a lot of compliments!


There wasn't a lot of cake left! I thought I'd have a ton left over, but some people had seconds and Lloyd took a chunk home for later.


The remainder shall be eaten tonight with friends :)

2 comments:

Dawna Drake said...

Wow does that look delicious! I'm not normally a fan of chocolate cake but I think I'd be willing to try again...

Saucy said...

That cake is amazing, and I know cake! Well done. I also lurrve me some Cadbury's Mini Eggs!

I also blog in Saskatoon, so, hi!