Thursday, August 28, 2008

Calla Lily Cake - Final Wilton Class

I had my final Wilton Fondant and Gum paste class this week. Which makes it my final Wilton class ever! I'm excited to be done, but I will kind of miss going to class. Now I know the basics though, and I can continue to learn new techniques and decorations on my own.

For my final class I had to make a cake to decorate. I decided to use this as an opportunity to do several things at once. One: Make a cake for class. Two: Make a farewell cake for a co-worker, Jackie. Three: Give Jackie an idea for a possibly flavor of cake for her wedding cake which I will be doing next year. That's THREE birds with one stone!

So I made an 8" two layer blueberry cake, filled with white chocolate cream cheese buttercream icing and blueberry pie filling. It was iced with a layer of buttercream icing then covered in white fondant and placed on a purple fondant covered cake board. The ribbon border was a fondant/gum paste mixture in the same purple as the cake board. The leaves and stems were green fondant. And the purple calla lilies were gum paste creations that I made on the weekend.



The cake went over really well at work and I think Jackie might get blueberry cake as at least one of her tiers :)

No comments: